Exclusive Interview: Five Minutes with Argy

In Interviews, Latest News by pg-admin0 Comments

Greek music producer Argy has teamed up with Italian/Spanish DJ and music producer duo Ernest & Frank on the rework of Alex Niggemaan’s 2014 hit ‘Materium’. This collaboration celebrates the 20th year of renowned label Poker Flat Recordings (listen here), who have represented big names in the electronic scene (Steve Bug, Joeski). 

Argy is known for his deep house and tech sound, which develops a new dimension and layers to the remix. We find out more about the music producer in this exclusive.  

Set the tone for us. Why the arts?

Because it’s uncountable and very fluid, which makes you a success or failure almost an accident. Nobody is to blame! Must be a dream for a lot of millennials. 

Which comes first when you’re producing – the sound or the idea?

A tiny little sound, that triggers an idea, and then all the other sounds follow based on that inspiration.

What’s on your current playlist?

Brent Faiyaz, Ryan Adams, Bill Evans, Greek folk music, and lots of podcasts.

Tell us about the chemistry you have with your fans on stage.

I am an ultra-sensitive action-reaction sensor, I tease the audience with sounds, see how they react and according to that, I plan my next move. The first hour is like a game of chess and then when they are loosened up, the chemistry and selection become more effortless, wild, and organic. At the end of a good night, the atmosphere is quite touching and nostalgic, as if the night happened a decade ago and I am only remembering it.

What techniques do you experiment with to get your original sound?

Live life like no other DJ and that usually does the trick. Living differently makes your output significantly different.

Take us through a day in the recording studio.

A good day is when stars align and all the equipment works fine and I can get something going on in the first hour, during which I am able to arrive at 90% of the track. The remaining 10% might take months. A bad day is when nothing works and I just open a Youtube window and watch Joe Rogan episodes instead of working.

Was there a specific moment in your life where you thought, “this is what I want to do”?

I was a very cocky child and pretended I was doing it before I could even dream about it. I was faking it before making it, in front of my Greek classmates who had no idea about the music or scene I was referring to. 

What do you keep close by while you’re playing a set?

An expensive piece of clothing.

Tell us about your relationship with Poker Flat – why do you think they have the latest such a How do you approach remixing a record that’s very well known and has such a long history?

Poker Flat and Steve Bug discovered me! I kinda owe them my career! I didn’t know the song to be honest and that’s good because it was fresh for my ears. I didn’t feel any pressure because there was no history for me. I just chopped it up real quick and everything came along easy and having Ernest & Frank with me in the studio made it extra fun.

What gets your creative juices flowing?

When I hear something dope by another artist. Jealousy basically.

Any side projects you’re working on?

Yes! Real estate, soundtrack projects, commercials, and couple more things that hopefully I can talk more about next year.

How have you refined your craft since you entered the industry? 

Yes, mentally a lot. I used to be a lot more concerned about the audience’s opinion and now my perspective is way more “marco” than before. The older I get the more insignificant I feel in front of the miracle of life and that influences my craft quite significantly.

Breakdown the news for us: what can we expect from you this year?

I am working on a lot of soundtrack projects and won’t be touring at all as nothing seems to be opening any time soon. I would like to start a new Zodiac Free Arts Club album soon. The last one came out on Hivern Discs.

Famous last words?

I just like collaborating.

Follow Argy: 

Facebook | Soundcloud

Leave a Comment